Tuesday 26 May 2009

Buenos Aires on an ordinary Tuesday.

Today (Tuesday 26 May - happy birthday Mum!) was the first working day since we landed, so we set out to get Joel's ID document sorted so we can start with my immigration process. After literally walking several kilometres, being sent from one place to another by unhelpful officials, and negotiating a complex and not terribly efficient subway network we finally ended up miles from home but in the right queue. An hour later, we had completed the right forms and paid the requisite amount of money and his documentation will be ready to pick up on Monday. Whew! And now to find our way home...

Meanwhile, I lost my Visa debit card... Well not so much lost, as I was dumb and left it in an ATM... Kilometres and several subway changes away from where I discovered it was missing. So that's been cancelled and my money is still all there - what there was of it to start with - and I have learned a valuable lesson in, um... Well. I haven't actually learned anything new because I already know to check you have everything before you leave the ATM. So, not even a learning curve, although I am sure somehow it built character.

I also have a crick in my neck from looking up. I love the architecture in this city! I took a few photos with my new little point and click camera today and will try to append them to this post. Wrought iron balcomies, shuttered windows, intricate stonework... absolutely beautiful, and many are apartments. I would love to live in such an edifice! Some are completely empty and boarded up, which seems a terrible waste. They often have crazy towers, turrets and one even had a lighthouse on top! I guess up there is where you want to be, away from the bustle and grime of street level. Though as you can see, some enterprising individuals have spraypainted political graffiti on the nice marble benches, which does make street-level more interesting.

Anyways, have to go and do terribly important things now. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment